Monday, December 20, 2010

MRI

Okay, so the next step in this process is to go for an MRI.

I decided to do it privately. For international readers, Canada has a Universal publicly funded health care system. There isn't a lot of private health available.
As a result, everyone gets really great health care cover regardless of their ability to pay. Health care as a human right if you will.
The downside....
Health care can take a long time to get. Think of it like a grocery store. If the food was "free" you'd have to stand in line a lot longer to get your stuff.

I decided to spend the $1020.00 for a private MRI. One of the few things in Canada we can actually do for ourselves.

I showed up and they put me in a tube on a table and I spent about 40 minutes getting pictures of my skull transposed onto their crazy imaging computers.
They also injected me halfway through the process with a "contrast". This just helps the computer take better pics. It didn't hurt.

Anyway, got the results and the tumor on my pituitary is 10mmX11mmX5mm on the left side. It hasn't spread too far and wide and it isn't wrapped around my optic nerve or carotid artery. It extends a little bit from the pituitary itself and is considered a "macro" because it's over 1cm in size. (barely)

I feel pretty good about it. I've heard some stories about people who don't catch their conditions until they're in their mid-40's and it can be the size of a golf ball...totally encompassing the pituitary gland. (Even then treatment works, but the process is a lot more involved)

So I'm in a good place.

Now I meet with the neurosurgeon who will be performing the surgery on me. Dec 22nd is the date. Looking forward to it.

Take care everyone,
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff,

    Just saw your post on Acromegaly Bloggers! Sounds like your tumor is very treatable- I hope you have a good appointment with your neurosurgeon. Definitely keep us posted!

    -Ellen

    ReplyDelete