Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Diabetes Insipidus



Thirst.

After waiting in the recovering room for a hospital bed away from the surgery area, I began to develop thirst.

I wasn't allowed to eat or drink for about 12 hours before the surgery, so I was thirsty anyway...but after 24 hours with very little fluid and the onset development of Diabetes Insipidus...my thirst was outrageous.

First, a little info about Diabetes Insipidus...Learn about what Diabetes Insipidus is...

I wasn't prepared for this side effect. I had multiple IVs and a catheter hooked up, so when they moved me to my room I requested some fluid to finally quench my thirst. The attending nurse turned into a cocktail waitress and I drank roughly 8 litres of fluid (water, ginger ale, apple juice, ice tea) over the course of a night.

The next day the Endrocrinologist injected me with an artifical hormone that helped me retain the water in my body, but up until that point...I was bone dry thirsty. So thirsty it caused actual pain.

This has since proven to be a temporary condition due to the trauma of surgery on and around the pituitary gland, so I am feeling back to normal.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment